3am Thoughts

     You know when you wake up at 3am and can't get back to sleep?  Yup, that point when your mind is racing with all kinds of thoughts and you can't turn it off...that was Sunday morning for me, COVID-19 Day 4.  I know we don't have an official tracker of the virus and it began its conquest well before that, but for me, shit got real Thursday, March 12th, 2020...The day the sports world came to a grinding stop.

     Before I go any further, I probably should introduce myself to those who may not know me.  I don't know how personal I want to get because I am not quite sure how far I want to take this blog.  I am hoping to maybe be able to continue with this a couple of times a week for the foreseeable future, so a possible deep dive into the real me is on the horizon.  Right now though, here's a quick little intro...
     Hi, I'm Edward (insert elbow bump so that we keep our social distance.)  I was born and raised in the small Northern Maine town of Madawaska by two hard working educators/coaches.  Much to my mother's delight (not really), sports were a vital part of our upbringing.  We were either running between practices or games, or headed out to watch one of my father's teams.  To my dad and me, we were in heaven...to my brother, sister and mother, I think they were just along for the ride.
     I lived 38 years in Northern Maine (with a brief stop in Jacksonville, Florida and one in Ottawa, Kansas) before relocating to the warmth of Central Florida.  It took a little time to get used to the heat and humidity (actually do you ever get used to the humidity?) but no matter how hot and sweaty I get, I know that in mid-January, I won't have to drive white knuckled in the middle of a snow storm again.
     Like I said, a "quick little" into.  You see, I may have taken English and Literature class, but the name of my blog is "Rambling Thoughts From a Sports Junkie", so you'll (I'm looking at all my previous english instructors or professors) have to just get over the grammatical mistakes and my, well, my rambling thoughts.

     Back to COVID-19 Day 4 (Sunday morning), my mind was racing all over the place, I was thinking about work, thinking about money, thinking about my daughter and how to explain everything that is going on right now, and thinking about UFC on Saturday night.(Again peoples, it's called Rambling Thoughts for a reason)  I knew that my work schedule would be adjusting a little and I was wondering what I was going to do to fill my time.  My daughter is going to be home from school for a minimum of two weeks and I was trying to stay away from my parents so as not to infect them if, for some reason, I was carrying the virus without knowing it. I work in non-essential retail at a mall so I come in contact with all kinds of people and who knows with as quick as this is spreading whether I had contracted the virus...I wasn't about to become Patient Zero for mom and dad's retirement community!
     Anyway, my mind was all over the place that morning but it kept coming back to sports.  You see sports were always and probably will always be important to me.  One of my mom's favorite lines to say to me anytime I start dissecting something sports related is, "You need to get a life."  The more I think about that statement, the more I realize sports ARE a big part of my life and I really have no problem with that.  Do I live and die by the outcomes of events?  My wife may disagree with this, but no, I do not live and die by the outcomes.  I may become a little emotional after a tough loss or big win, but my real life goes on after a few minutes (or hours, again depending on who you ask.)  Sports is an escape from the messed up world that we live in.
     Think about sports for a second, think about the people that you watch sports with, think about the stadiums that are filled with screaming fans...People of all different skin colors are sitting next to each other, cheering together, giving high fives.  We (the collective we not actually you and I) don't care if the fan next to us is black, white, yellow, purple, red or orange.  We don't care if you voted for an elephant or a donkey.  We don't care whether they believe in God or Buddha or Allah.  We don't care if they are male or female.  And we sure as shit don't care if they are male or female. All we care about is that you are wearing the right colors and cheering for the same team as us.  That is it.  This is what make sports great.  It crosses all the boundaries and shows us how we should be when we are all cheering for the greatest team that we are all fans of, the human race.  So yeah, I LOVE sports.
     Alright, back to Sunday morning again...while I was laying there thinking about everything, I decided I was going to start a sports blog.  I mean what better time to start a sports blog then four days after all sports have been suspended world wide, it makes perfect sense, right?  So here we are, the beginning (and maybe the end) of my blogging career.  Who knows how it is going to go, or even if anybody outside of my family reads it, but I think this could be fun.  I am going at this like a sports blog, but it will have all kinds of fun stuff thrown in.  Hopefully you will enjoy reading it, as much as I enjoy writing it.
     I have got lots of thoughts on the current state of the sports world, but those will be for a different time.  Yesterday UFC decided they were going to join the rest of the world and postpone a few events.  It's both understandable and disappointing.  I mean, I don't know about you, but being able to watch LIVE sports last Saturday night made me smile😊.  The old saying of you don't know what you've got until it's gone is ringing true to a lot of sports fans right now.
     If you made it this far, hopefully I made you smile or giggle a few times and maybe you will stick around to read more as I try to grow this.  Please let me you what you think, good or bad.  I am doing this for myself, but I also want to include each and every one of you as I move forward.  Also, feel free to share, this is a little out of my comfort level, but I wanted to take a chance and see what I could do.  Thanks for starting this journey with me, I am hoping you enjoy the ride.

     I used to work at both my university radio station and a local station in Northern Maine and had a lot of fun doing it, so maybe this can be the same.  When I ended each show I would sign off using the same line, and I think that one line is more important today then every before. Thanks again for reading friends.

Always remember...Be good to yourselves, and each other.❤

-Edward

Comments

  1. well edward ( so formal), I enjoyed your rambling. it will be nice to get to know the other “ outlaw” in the family and to have someone that may agree with my bathroom hand washing obsession ( as it’s been called). i too lay awake over the weekend as my 401 was doing a free fall and tried to squash the uneasiness that I was feeling. we’re not year round sports fanatics but it’s the interruption of normalcy that is staggering for all of us, so I share your anxiety about the overall situation. Simce I started hanging with the peanut, I’ve basically been self quarantined so that part of life isn’t much different for me. I look forward to more ramblings from a sports junkie, good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Big Red

Raise the Flags!!!!